i am not a child. i am a foreigner, and there is a huge difference. i don't need a babysitter, i don't need an interpreter (well, i do, but for all intents and purposes of this post, i will say that i don't), i don't need to be led around by the hand and i don't need someone to do everything for me. they say that culture shock comes in stages, and i agree. at the moment, i am in the "stop treating me like i'm stupid because you can't understand the chinese that i said" stage. the "i'm not a filthy heathen just because i don't take my shoes off everytime i go somewhere" stage. the "no, i'm not going to give you h1n1 because i don't have on a doctor's mask" stage. i hope this stage will pass soon.
today, one of my students was running around in circles for no reason, so i called him down. "what are you doing?!" i asked. his response? "teacher, i'm a little bit crazy, i'm sorry."
we all are, kid. we all are.
I feel like I could respond like your student most days. (: Today, I made a list on my blog, because I love them too.
ReplyDeleteI so remember that stage in Mexico Katie! It sucked and I almost killed every person who tried to speak to me in English and even a few of them who spoke in Spanish too slowly (even if I couldn't understand it at normal speed, haha). It passes.... eventually. Well, there are occasional resurgences, but you know...
ReplyDelete